Friday, 27 September 2013
I've finished this collection dress, and named it Bubble. It's always been Bubble in my head and so it remains, even though in the flesh it's not as bubbly in shape as the original sketch, but that could be a good thing overall.
It's made from silk Organza twisted over silk Dupion to give some lovely textural folds to the shape at the hem, with the organza and oversize sequin applique and beading on top of the organza.
It could be funky if made in another colour and not used for a wedding at all. It's definitely a non-standard type of dress, whether used for a wedding or not. It's simple, but interesting, and I hope you like it.
Friday, 20 September 2013
Remember these? (The top swirly thing.) I recall it was commented that they looked like Iced Gems. They are a sewing 'doodle' that I worked on a while back.
After wanting to use them for ages, but not feeling that anything was quite right, I've finally got around to using them on a new dress design which is currently still a work-in-progress, but here's a small preview:
I'll show some more pictures of the whole thing soon, when it's finished. I hope that you like it.
Friday, 13 September 2013
I tend to forget to put up work in progress, working on wedding gowns tends to be a kind of 'ta-da' type of thing, and I end up only showing the end product. So in an attempt to break this habit, this is what I've been working on this week:
The last ever Gaia dress (possibly): Gaia has been one of my most popular gowns ever, and as a result I've kept it going for years and made it for many happy brides either as the sample design, or altered the design slightly to suit the client. Sadly the lace is no longer as easily available as it once was, and I'm thinking of discontinuing the design. I'm not really sure actually. I'm pondering it. Either way, I will design a newer version.
I'm designing new gowns and will be making them shortly. These snippets are straight from my sketchbook, so they'll probably change as the design is developed while being manufactured.
The quilt progresses. In typical personal-project fashion, I bought lengths of the fabrics I liked before designing the actual quilt, so I raided my remnants box and paid another trip to Sew much to do to get some more in order to actually make it. Such a hardship!
Website: At long last I am having a new website designed. I can't wait. The old one is sorely out of date, and my apologies - hasn't been working properly for months. I only found this out the other day when a kindly person informed me that the actual address wasn't working properly. Anyway, new and fresh things are in the air at last.
I'm now on Twitter too! I'm @RachelLambDes if that's your kind of thing. It's taking me a while to get used to it, but do pop over and connect with me there. :-)
Enjoy your weekend. :-)
Thursday, 5 September 2013
I have been meaning to show this image for a few weeks now, but school holidays were in the way. Now they're over, here it is! This is Sophie whose dress I made last year and who I have shown pictures of before. However, she recently had the gown re-photographed and sent me this and I think it's splendid! I hope you do too.
The gown is a two-piece, a detachable cape/train with a strapless dress lace dress underneath.
I'm very excited about these images, it's always lovely to receive pictures of my work. I have used the top image in some of my new adverts.