Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Season of lists and mellow fruitfulness...

I love the classic poem by John Keats 'To Autumn'. Here's the first verse, in-case you're unfamiliar:

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For summer has o'er brimmed their clammy cells.



I can't help thinking of it each year when I open my curtains on an Autumnal scene. However, this year, the mists and mellow fruitfulness don't appear to be as forthcoming as what seems to me, the almost constant rain we've been having here.

There's something comforting and inspiring for me in this type of rainy weather though. I can't say I find it great to go out in, but for me, it's list making weather - lists of things to make!

Here's the 2nd completed item on my autumn list: (Please forgive the picture quality - I'm still learning.) Its a new gown for my new collection:


There's something about this dress that reminds me of cooler months - perhaps its the icey blue silk underlayer; the overlayer of twinkly oyster coloured lace? Or perhaps the multi-layered cobwebby tulle skirt layers? Who knows? It's a 3/4 length dress, and depending on your height, certain bits of the skirt hems may touch the floor in this particular sample, but they don't have to in real life folks as everything is made to fit! It is literally hot off the sewing machine, and is unnamed. As is my custom, I like to leave items 'resting' for a while while I decide what, if any, modifications are needed.

Here's the back:


Almost identical to the front. I'm pondering whether to put a bow on the back, or not. If you like the dress but not bows, it will be an optional feature. A brooch or a flower could work just as well, or just some covered buttons at the back...When its completed, I'll post another pic with full adornment.

Anyway, onto my next Autumn project, which I'll post about shortly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment.